Thursday, October 8, 2009

OMC STINGER UPPER 1977 302 ford?

I have the "opportunity" to purchuse a 1977 reinell closed bow runabout for 1100 bucks but the owner says the OMC STINGER upper is blown (not a boat guy so I don't know what "BLOWN" means to him or other boaters) the boat appears clean and cared for was used last season until i/o gave out engine runs good (ford 302) I guess I would like opinions on repair vs. replacement .my search on ebay turned up little so I believe this old omc unit is hard to get parts for .since I work in a car repair shop and have ford small block parts and experience I would love to keep 302 but should I ditch old OMC in favor of newer/used mercruiser or try to find these old parts



OMC STINGER UPPER 1977 302 ford?antivirus



Think about it for a moment .Its 30 years old and yes parts are hard to get for them . And if you do find them new by the time you get done buying them and having it properly rebuilt shimming and resealing you have spent more than the boats worth.



If a boat is cheap or for free you will pay much more in the long run trying to get it right unless you have an endless source of money



OMC STINGER UPPER 1977 302 ford?computer



take the advice from the boat heads (Myself included) NOT A GOOD DEAL ! Outdrives are a head ache (so are outboards but, easier to replace) an "I/O" has the worst of both the automotive, and marine world combined, Stay away from I/O's as they change the direction of power too much (not a good design), it create's too many "WEAR POINTS" at where it changes direction of power, from an engineering stand point, "that sux" !
The word is stringer not stinger. I would assume what he is talking about is the upper gear case assembly on the out drive. You're looking at a $1600 replacement cost for a reman unit and probably anywhere from $500- $1600 for a used one.



Old omc parts are not hard to find, but they are expensive. Anything that says it's for a boat is expensive. 302 parts will cost twice as much if you say it's for a boat.



My advice would be to let this one pass.
The other folks are right,its stringer and these drives are obsolete and were prone to many expensive repairs.Save your money and put it towards a newer model of boat.



I have34yrs experience as a cert. Mercury/omc/Volvo tec.and i would not take that drive system if it was given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment